Contact Us  |  Trade & Media
 
                 
cart Shopping Cart    You have 0 items    Checkout

Opened by Richard Seddon in 1903

The Coronation Hall was built at Ross in 1902 to commemorate the coronation of Edward VII. It was officially opened by the Prime Minister, Richard Seddon in 1903. The hall served as a community centre and housed a library and newspaper reading room, the borough council meeting rooms and offices. After the decline of Ross the future of the hall was in doubt. Hearing talk of demolition a Greymouth dentist and his friend from New Plymouth donated $250 each to have the hall shifted to Shantytown in January 1974
Today the hall contains examples of a Victorian home and parlour as well as library and the original council meeting table.
right_top.jpg

Follow Us

logo_facebook.jpg Facebook
logo_twitter.jpg Twitter
   
Qualmark Enviro Award Silver RGB GIF 10cm high 72dpi   Qualmark Endorsed Visitor Activity webi
 

 

Our Location


Shantytown is located at 316 Rutherglen Road, Paroa - just 10Km south of Greymouth on the West Coast of the South Island. 
                                              
Map and directions

  
Freephone: 0800  742 689

p_5.gif